An Ultrasound Technician – Journey from Student to Career:
In this fast paced and high end mechanization age, numerous career opportunities have arisen, giving rise to requirement of high end technicians in various spheres of life and the vast subject of medicine is no exception. The job of an ultrasound technician is one such example of a valuable and a highly responsible work assignment in the medical arena. Here we discuss how to begin your journey in Ultrasound technology right from schooling to establishing yourself as a successful sonographer.
Choose Right Ultrasound Technician Schools
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Medical Radiography - Associate
Study for your degree online with Adventist University of Health Sciences. We offer a completely online Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Sciences program that allows you to study when and where it's convenient for you.
Must be currently registered with AART or NMTCB to qualify!
- Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Sciences
DeVry University provides quality education that employers respect, and is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association (ncahlc.org), the same organization that accredits many other well-known public and private schools.
- Associate-Neurodiagnostic Technology (New Jersey)
Reaping Fruits of Labor: – The Job Career
Where academic ends the journey to a successful career starts, you may experience interim durations where a job is hard to come across, it’s important you don’t get disheartened and continue improvising , filling out the gaps that are proving to be roadblocks.
How to begin your Job Hunt in Sonography?
- As soon as you complete your academic credentials, and certifications, start your job search by registering through popular medical and diagnostic job portal websites and watch out local newspaper healthcare and medical sections in career avenues.
- Let your friends and people whom you know are associated with diagnostic labs and hospitals know that you are job hunting in field of ultrasound technology, they may suggest people whom to contact or they themselves may help you in fetching good references.
- Obtain good references and work on your resume, mention the skills that you have a good expertise on along with other sonography techniques, rendering the services of a professional resume developer may help for the same cause.
- It’s not necessary you always start big, be open to sonography projects that involve intern opening too, many labs don’t hire a fresher directly but prefer him working as a intern before he is recruited
- There may be some road blocks like certain aspects of ultrasound technology that require polishing, ensure you convert those road blocks into advantages by opting for training or on improvising them.
But the most important of them all is Patience, “Patience Holds the Key to Success “
Places Where Ultrasounds Work:-
A sonographer can choose to work in either of the following
- Private Clinics and Hospitals
- Health Care Camps
- Medical Research
- Diagnostic centres
- Mobile imaging service facilities
- Multi Speciality Medical Centres
- Veterinary clinics
Designations Available For Ultrasound Technicians:
Ultrasound Technician can choose to work as
- Sonography instrument technician
- Diagnostic imaging professional
- Vascular Sonography Technician
- Cardiothoracic Imaging & radiologist specialist.
Salaries and Pay Scales:
Salary is the prime factor that has a say in the success of one’s career, today where money matters to everything, it outweighs other factors by a large margin. So it’s important to know how much a sonographer really makes.
Salary is determined by the position you hold and the location of your practice. Colorado, California & Oregon pay the highest salaries & is considered a safe haven with regard to ultrasound technician jobs, while less populated or country side locations offer a lower average pay. A Diagnostic imaging professional with sufficient experience may earn as high as $83000 per year, while the average pay is close to $55, 000. An experienced fully qualified professional can command higher salaries and enjoy lucrative employee benefits.
Future Career Outlook:-
In the end , how good is the sonography career, will it be a short term or a long term affair, these are just some of the questions that pops up, however the qualms can rest for sonography is relatively a safe career. There will always be a need for sonographers and present technology suggests that sonography as a diagnostic method is here to stay; however it wouldn’t harm an individual to keep updating himself and never let his value fall in the job market. There are averaging 101,500 ultrasound technicians in US for the year 2012 yet their demand has grown by 20% and is projected to continue for next 7 years, as reported by US Bureau of labour statistics (BLS).